Position Title: Director of Business Development
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full time
Job Summary: Vala Sciences Inc. is a privately-held, pioneering biotechnology firm based in San Diego, California. We are seeking candidates with expertise in Business Development for drug discovery services and systems, and the engagement and development of collaborations/alliances. The Director of Business Development will qualify and develop leads with pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies for drug discovery service contracts and IC200-KIC platforms as a springboard to forming partnerships to identify new drug targets and develop new preclinical drug candidates. This role requires a deep understanding of: Vala’s Kinetic Image Cytometry (KIC) and High content screening (HCS); HCS/KIC assay development and validation, particularly with iPSC disease models; diseases and targets of interest to prospective customers; and how to build a collaborative work plan to use Vala’s proprietary approach to achieve the customer’s drug development goals.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Qualify and develop leads with pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies (provided by way of your network of contacts and Vala’s: website and marketing, business development channels, personnel and consultants, and referrals) for drug discovery service contracts and IC200-KIC platform sales as a springboard to
- Forming partnerships to identify new drug targets and develop new preclinical drug candidates
- Respond to all inquiries from the website and other marketing channels
- Schedule and lead detailed scientific presentations describing Vala’s proprietary screening, iPSC disease model, and platform expertise and the advantages of them with potential customers, and lead the follow-up communications and teleconferences
- Draft and finalize contracts, including statements of work with the experimental design, and proposals, with the assistance of the Chief Research Officer (CRO), CEO and other Vala scientists
- Assist with marketing efforts, including website updates, social media postings, and attending conferences and other networking events
- Identify new opportunities and possibilities for expansion and development
Qualifications & Skills:
- Ph.D. in Science and experience in drug discovery assay development and validation, and screening tools, particularly related to HCS
- MBA is a plus
- Experience with human iPSC-derived neurons, cardiomyocytes and skeletal muscle cells, and readouts of fast kinetics is a plus.
- Strong organizational, and written & verbal communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Base salary and commission TBD, depending on experience
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
About Vala Sciences:
Vala Sciences, Inc., builds high-speed (AKA super-slow motion) video microscopy instruments (IC200-KIC) for single-cell analyses of fast kinetics (action potentials, calcium transients, contraction, etc.) of human stem cell-derived brain, heart, muscle, and other cell types; develops and manufactures biological models, KIC/HCS AI-augmented tools; and creates and validates assays and screens for use in early drug development by pharmaceutical companies; and partners with clients to develop new medical therapies.