Position Title: Research Associate (RA)/Senior Research Associate (SRA) – Assay Development and iPSC maintenance
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full time
Company Summary: Vala Sciences, Inc., builds high-speed (AKA slow motion) kinetic image cytometry (KIC) instruments for single-cell analyses of fast activities (action potentials, contraction, etc.) of human stem cell-derived brain, heart, muscle, and other cell types; develops and validates assays and screens for use in early drug development in pharmaceutical companies; and develops new therapeutics for related diseases.
Job Summary: We’re seeking an RA or SRA to join our dynamic assay development and induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) research team.
The successful candidate will execute validated assays for contract research projects and assist in management and maintenance of iPSC lines. Additionally, you will work with senior scientists in the Neurobiology and Cardiology groups to plan and perform experiments for assay development to support Vala’s internal and contract research projects. You will maintain differentiated iPSC cell cultures for live cell assays using Vala’s Kinetic Image Cytometry (KIC) technology, as well as perform IF staining to assist in development of reproducible and optimized assays. You may perform differentiation of iPSC to different cell types, such as neurons, astrocytes, microglia and cardiomyocytes. You will work in a close-knit, fast-paced team environment and adapt readily to changing needs as projects and technologies evolve.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Research Associate will:
- Maintain iPSC cultures and hiPSC-derived cell cultures (cardiomyocytes, neurons, astrocytes, microglia) for assay development experiments in microplate (96- and 384-well) formats
- Execute neuronal and cardiovascular assays using Vala’s proprietary image based KIC platform technology
- Manage 1-2 assay development tasks at one time under supervision
- Maintain organized records of experiments and outcomes
- Operate automated laboratory screening equipment and utilize Vala’s proprietary image-based platform technology
- Communicate with Vala’s biology team members with scientific and technical updates
- Conduct general lab maintenance duties, including preparing reagents and solutions as needed for experiments
In addition to the above, the Senior Research Associate will:
- Take a more active role in planning, development, and optimization of assays by participating in data analysis and keeping abreast of the current literature
- Assist with the preparation of reports to external customers
- Contribute to writing and editing application notes, publications, and scientific posters
- B.S. or M.S. in Molecular/Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Bioengineering, or related; 1+ years of experience preferred
- Experience with mammalian cell culture (cardiac or neuronal cells, or hiPSC preferred)
- Experience using microplate formats (e.g., 96- and 384-well plates) and multi-channel pipettes (manual and electronic)
- Solid background in general cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, and fluorescent imaging techniques
- Able to be flexible with changing protocols, and to make logically-sound, independent decisions based on scientific and technical knowledge
- Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment, with excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Availability to work on weekends as needed
- Comfortable with computers and software including MS Office Suite
The career level of this role (RA vs. SRA) will be based on candidate’s skills and qualifications. References will be required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- How many years of experience do you have with iPSCs?