Position Title: Research Associate (RA)/Senior Research Associate (SRA) – iPSC Manufacturing
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full time
We’re seeking an RA or SRA to join our dynamic induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) research and manufacturing program.
Vala Sciences, Inc. is a leading developer of human stem cell-based assays for pharmaceutical drug discovery and safety pharmacology programs. We leverage our unique ability to combine biology, engineering, and computer science to enable the development of a broad range of high impact assays to solve key problems for our clients. Vala Sciences is dedicated to advancing stem cell and imaging techniques to address complex disease, increase the efficiency of the drug discovery process, and reduce both developmental costs and time to market for pharmaceuticals.
We offer a competitive compensation package including medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, 3 weeks of PTO per annum (to start), and stock options.
The successful candidate will manage iPSC lines and their differentiation to different cell types, like cardiomyocytes, microglia, neurons, and astrocytes. These differentiated iPSC lines will be used for internal R&D projects, commercial research contracts, and manufacture for sale. You will evaluate and validate differentiated cell lines with biomarker detection methods like ICC or flow cytometry, and investigate and characterize cellular function using Vala’s live-cell fluorescent imaging technology. You will work in a close-knit, fast-paced team environment and adapt readily to changing needs as projects and technologies evolve.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Research Associate will:
- Maintain iPSC cultures and differentiate iPSCs into a variety of cell types to support Vala’s internal and contract research
- Operate automated laboratory screening equipment and utilize of Vala’s proprietary image-based platform technology to characterize differentiated cells and elucidate their functions
- Troubleshoot and critically evaluate protocols and contribute to writing and editing SOPs
- Maintain organized differentiation batch records
- Communicate with Vala’s biology team members with scientific and technical updates
- Conduct general lab maintenance duties
In addition to the above, the Senior Research Associate will:
- Improve upon existing and develop new methods and strategies to differentiate iPSCs and utilize them in drug discovery or toxicity screening projects
- Contribute to assay development for internal and contract research
- Contribute to writing and editing application notes, publications, and scientific posters
- B.S. or M.S. in Cell/Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, or related field
- Minimum of 1-2 years with iPSCs and iPSC-derived cells (industry or core facility experience a plus)
- Prior experience with cardiac or neuronal models is preferred
- Solid background in general cellular/molecular biology and biochemistry techniques
- Experience with fluorescence imaging and image analysis is a plus
- Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment, with excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Availability to work on weekends as needed
- Comfortable with computers and software including MS Office Suite
The career level of this role (RA vs. SRA) will be based on candidate’s skills and qualifications. References will be required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- How many years of experience do you have with iPSCs?